Monday, November 23, 2009

Oh, You Don't Tweet?

I’m told I need to adapt. Christ, I’m twenty-one. How fast is this whole technology thing really moving? Adapt? I’ve barely cleared puberty and I’m already being told I need to adapt?

I’ve got internet-savvy friends who leech Tweets and posts and hyperlinks onto every possible multi-colored word they can. Solid text is now a shameful misuse of the English language. People expect to be able to read about the mating habits of gorillas or terrorist cats without actually having to do any reading at all—just look for the hyperlink or Tweet or whatever and then the information can be quickly dumbed down and mildly explained without really having to read much of the author’s work at all.

Hemingway never Tweeted a single fucking Tweet and he turned out alright.

I assume that if you’re reading this, it’s because you have nothing better to do. There is nothing useful here. If you’re looking for useful go to Matt Taibbi’s blog. I don’t have much to click on. I tried to create some sort of gimmick, but it failed miserably next to some 7th grade web design projects created by kids who will probably end up calling me into their office for a job interview. These days, nobody wants to read a page. They only want to click on it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm on Twitter but hardly ever tweet, since most of the stuff I want to say requires more than 140 typed characters.

    I fear that you're right...one day the English language will be fully reduced to an abbreviated mess:

    Hlo, hw r u? I luv Twtr! Dnt u?

    ReplyDelete